COVID-19 has impacted many areas of our lives. The power of coming together and supporting each other is more apparent now than ever.
Every June, projects and organizations unite through the Canada Africa Partnership Ride bike-a-thon to raise funds for community development efforts across Africa. This year is no different.
To continue creating collective impact while staying safe, we are hosting the 16th Annual Canada Africa Partnership Ride as a virtual bike-a-thon.
This year’s ride takes place on the weekend of June 6-7th! In response to COVID-19, participants will ride from their homes on event weekend, while joining an online launch at the beginning of the weekend, completing rides (or runs!) and other fun challenges throughout the weekend, and closing it off with an online ceremony and team prizes on Sunday June 7th.
We are pleased to introduce our 14 projects raising funds for collective impact across the continent! Meet our teams & causes:
- Art Building Children’s Dreams (ABCD) – supporting children’s education and well-being in Tanzania
- ADRA Canada (the Adventist Development & Relief Agency) – raising funds to send girls to school in Niger
- Africa Climate Action Initiative (ACAI) – supporting African communities on the front lines of climate change to adapt and build resilience
- Bridging Worlds Through Music (BWTM) – supporting children’s empowerment through music in Geita, Tanzania
- CAP/AIDS – raising funds for the Home of Hope in Boroboro, Uganda, housing community members affected by cycles of HIV/AIDS, abuse, poverty and orphanhood, and equipping them with livelihood skills
- CAP Network – supporting the central infrastructure of the Canada Africa Partnership Network to continue supporting community impact in Africa
- Canadian Physicians for Aid and Relief (CPAR) – raising funds for COVID-19 prevention & relief efforts in Ethiopia and Malawi
- Crossroads International – riding in support of women’s rights and empowerment in 11 Sub-Saharan African countries
- Interagency Coalition on AIDS and Development (ICAD) – raising funds in support of Simba Utano, a project that is working to improve the health of adolescent girls and young women at risk of HIV in Zimbabwe
- Pan African Centre for Climate (PACC) Policy – supporting a cleaner and safer environment in Africa through education, empowerment & policy advocacy
- The Rainmaker Enterprise – raising funds in support of solar-powered water infrastructure for health and food security in Tonj, South Sudan
- The Olive Branch for Children (TOBFC) – working with remote communities in Tanzania to assess their primary needs & establish programs supporting the most vulnerable in those communities; riding in support of programs reaching over 80,000 people every year
- Village of Love Canada (VOLC) – supporting 90 women and over 600 children in the Kibera slum of Nairobi; raising funds for COVID-19 emergency food baskets for women to be able to feed their children with dignity
- Zacadia (Zanzibar-Canadian Diaspora Association) – raising funds for COVID-19 relief efforts and health, education and social welfare activities in Pemba, Zanzibar
Many of our projects are supporting communities who are particularly vulnerable to COVID-19, and some are even raising funds for COVID-19 relief efforts.
As captain of the ICAD Pedal Pushers team, Shayna Buhler, said: “The ICAD team is coming together to raise funds to support our community partners in Zimbabwe in improving sexual and reproductive health and rights for adolescent girls and young women. In the context of COVID-19, already marginalized groups are at heightened risk for facing negative health and rights outcomes, so this work is all the more critical. And having been a virtual team for several years, this year’s style of bike rally is an exciting opportunity for the ICAD team to ride “together”!”
There is incredible work underway in our African partner communities. With your support, we can sustain and grow this impact.
Get out, get active, support the community and raise funds for these fantastic initiatives by joining a team and collecting donations from your family and friends! Choose a team and register by clicking any of the links above or visiting the teams page on our event website: www.canadaafricapartnershipride.ca/teams
The CAP Ride has always been about people supporting people. This year, this message hits close to home. Let’s ride together from coast to coast to coast to keep community impact going!