Africa Climate Action Initiative
The Africa Climate Action Initiative (ACAI) works alongside African communities on the front lines of climate change to adapt, mitigate and build resilience. Our mission is to enhance the climate mitigation and adaptation response of African nations and their communities, while building solidarity between Canadian and African communities tackling climate change.
Africa is the continent the most vulnerable to climate change, despite accounting for under 4 percent of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions. Climate change acts as a threat multiplier to existing challenges, including food insecurity, water scarcity, waterborne diseases, governance challenges and conflicts across the continent.
Hundreds of millions of people are being impacted. 70 percent of the total African population depends on agriculture, with 95 percent of this food production relying on rainfall. Increasingly uncertain rainfall and extreme weather patterns are having severe ramifications for food security, poverty eradication, and the achievement and maintenance of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
We believe Africa has the resources it needs to confront these challenges and lead the way towards a healthy and regenerative future. ACAI works with partners to support the advancement of the initiatives underway across the continent.
Action for and with Africans
on the frontlines of climate change
towards a healthy and regenerative future.
ACAI works with a range of partners to strengthen the climate change response across Africa and in Canada.
Our work is grounded on the following pillars:
- Support civil society partners through capacity building, technical support, resource mobilization, linkages, representation, and knowledge sharing for climate change projects and programmes
- Promote strategic, integrated and multi-stakeholder approaches to climate-smart programmes for the strengthened implementation of national, regional and global frameworks for climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Advance education, mobilization and awareness of climate change impacts and solutions in Africa, Canada and globally
Partners and Collaborators
Country of Operation: Kenya
Sectors: Women's Empowerment, Agriculture
Country of Operation: Kenya
Sectors: Child Development, Health, Food Security
Country of Operation: South Sudan
Sectors: Water and Sanitation, Agriculture and Food Security
Pan African Centre for Climate (PACC) Policy
Countries of Operation: Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria
Sectors: Education and Advocacy
Country of Operation: Nigeria
Sectors: Climate Justice and Resource Democracy
Countries of Operation: Gabon, Congo Brazzaville
Sectors: Agriculture, Renewable Energy
Zanzibar-Canadian Diaspora Association (Zacadia)
Country of Operation: Tanzania (Zanzibar)
Sectors: Social Welfare, Agriculture and Aquaculture
Country of Operation: Somalia
Sectors: Education, Livelihood Support
Events and Initiatives
Upcoming Event: Our Common Ground Webinar
"Our Common Ground: Canadian and African Voices for Regenerative Agriculture as a Climate Solution" brings together Canadian and African voices to highlight the key asset we all share responsibility to protect: our lands and our soils. This free webcast, hosted for Climate Week in collaboration with ClimateFast and Soil4Climate, highlights the tremendous potential of soil restoration through regenerative agriculture to capture carbon, replenish our water supply, reverse desertification, balance our climate, and feed the world with healthy food.
Join us Tuesday, September 22nd from 12-1:30pm EDT.
Join Shared Harvest Fall Fundraising Campaign!
Past Events and Initiatives:
- Africa Climate Action Initiative Launch - May 7, 2020 (watch recording series)
- Training Session: Proposal Writing - May 30, 2020 (watch series)
- CAP Ride Bike-a-thon - June 5-7, 2020 (visit website)
- Training Session: Project Development - June 13, 2020 (watch series)
- Fridays For Future Online Strike - Supporting Climate Action in Africa - July 24, 2020 (watch recording)
- Training Session: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning - August 22, 2020 (watch series)
Meet the Team and Get Involved
Projects under the Africa Climate Action Initiative are made possible through the fundraising efforts of the ACAI Affiliate Community who raise funds to support community projects and climate action and coordinate efforts to build capacity and share knowledge within the African development community.